Consistency over intensity!
Have you noticed that you’ve gained a little excess weight during quarantine? Are you self-conscious about working out in front of other people? If so, good news! You can be active without a to visit the gym. You can get fit in the privacy of your own home - and on your own terms!
Try these tips to get fit in your own home:
1. Use social media. While sitting at home, you could use the power of social media to get some workout ideas. Simply follow some online fitness coaches and influencers on Facebook and Instagram and you will have fresh content delivered direct to your feed each day.
2. Invest in some key equipment. While it would be nice to buy a squat rack, chances are you won't have enough room at home for it. Instead, think about other equipment that can assist in your workouts and won’t take up much space.
- A kettlebell and some mid-weight dumbbells are a good start as they can add an extra dimension to your home workouts.
- You may also want to invest in some resistance bands or perhaps a jump rope to perform cardio in your yard.
3. Clean the house. Not everyone loves doing housework, but doing those chores is a good way of getting fit. Plus, you’re making your house healthier and more presentable too, which will help uplift your mood.
4. Utilize your surroundings. The furniture around your house, even your walls and surfaces, can be used to create interesting exercises and workouts.
- For example, you could use a chair to perform triceps dips, or perhaps even step ups.
- Use your imagination and you may surprise yourself with the possibilities.
5. Use those empty gaps of time to exercise. Waiting for your kettle to boil, or perhaps during TV commercials, could be the perfect time to do a few exercises.
- These short 30-second workouts can add up to something significant by the end of the day.
6. Try bodyweight exercises. Although I mentioned earlier buying certain pieces of equipment, you don’t really need them if you prefer bodyweight exercises. From squats, to push-ups, to burpees, the possibilities are endless.
7. Load up that fitness DVD. At the back of your closet, you may find an old celebrity fitness DVD. Perhaps it’s time to go old school and give it another shot?
8. Browse YouTube. If you’re struggling for workout ideas or motivation, take a moment or two to browse YouTube. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of personal trainers and fitness experts available with numerous routines you can follow.
9. Keep workouts short. You don’t need to work out for hours to see results. Even 20-30 minutes a day can produce dramatic benefits.
- Ensure that you give 100% when you do exercise. This helps insure you will see the results you desire. It's really about being present and in the moment!
- HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is a good idea as you are working out to set intervals, where you will be giving 100% followed by a short break.
10. Practice yoga. Yoga is good for your mind, body and spirit, so it’s worth adding it to your home workout routine. Luckily, you don’t need to be an expert to experience the benefits!
As you can see, it’s certainly possible to get fit in the comfort of your own home.
A gym membership may seem like a good idea, and they will certainly have more equipment than you have at home, but it’s an expense that you may wish to forego, especially during these uncertain times we’re living in.
Bonus Tip: There is also a Peloton App with every type of workout you can imagine, NO bike or treadmill required! Strength, body weight, yoga, stretching, cardio and even meditations!
To your health!